What Is FAB?
FAB is the International Network on Feminist Approaches to Bioethics – a worldwide organization dedicated to furthering feminist bioethics. Feminist bioethicists engage with issues in health care and the biosciences from feminist viewpoints.
FAB is dedicated to the interests of women as patients, citizens, parents, practitioners and carers. We seek equity for women in all of their roles. We promote diversity and oppose all forms of oppression.
Our main activities are the International Journal of Feminist Approaches to Bioethics (IJFAB) and a biennial world congress.
FAB aims to:
- Develop feminist theories of bioethics
- Develop discussion and debate on bioethical issues from feminist perspectives
- Work towards equity for women and other vulnerable groups
- Be sensitive to the experiences of all marginalized groups
- Act through scholarship and practice
- Develop practical solutions to health care inequities
- Promote meetings with and support for feminist bioethicists around the world.
Our membership includes academics, healthcare professionals, policy makers, grass-root activists, and others with a concern about feminism and bioethics.
Find out how to join at our Membership page.
The International Journal of Feminist Approaches to Bioethics (IJFAB) is the official publication of FAB. Published twice per year, IJFAB is committed to sustaining and expanding the network of scholars in feminist bioethics. In accord with this mission IJFAB is
- Multidisciplinary, reflecting the diversity of methods and approaches within feminist bioethics.
- International, representing the global constituency of FAB and feminist scholarship in bioethics.
- Committed to exploring the implications of scholarship for public policy.
- Committed to exploring how gender intersects with other social determinants of privilege and discrimination, including race, class, ethnicity, sexuality, and physical and mental ability.
- Committed to exploring the relation of feminist theory to feminist pedagogy and feminist practice across a wide variety of domains related to health.
We hold biennial FAB Congresses in conjunction with meetings of the International Association of Bioethics. The next FAB Congress is in Mexico City in 2014.
We also organize panels at national and international bioethics conferences and symposia.
FAB has a network of country representatives who serve as contacts and coordinators for FAB-related activities in their respective countries. They announce FAB-related forthcoming events, projects, and local developments and encourage FAB members in their country to participate in FAB-related activities in their country and elsewhere.
Our listserv provides a forum for discussion and support.
FAB is governed by an Advisory Board, led by two Co-coordinators and supported by officers. We are a not-for-profit organization, supported by members' dues and by contributions.